Friday, July 22, 2016

Square Peg In A Round Hole

I recently heard the preacher Alistair Begg say that Christians are a "peculiar" in comparison to the world. We are different and the world sees us as different, even strange. This concept is not new to me, I've heard or read it in the Bible before. It comes from the King James Bible 1 Peter 2:9 "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a PECULIAR people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light". As I was listening to Alistair's sermon it came to me that I have lived a very sorrowful, even heartbreaking life. A life that oftentimes felt as if I couldn't be loved by others. I've tried desperately to fit in to what the world called "normal". But I always fell short. I was never the best at anything I did or tried. In school, I always wanted to be "that guy". You know the one, the one that everyone loved. The one that had "that girl". The girl all the guys dreamt and drooled over. I wasn't him though. I was the guy that was the class clown, the one people mocked and made fun of. I started running away from home at 13 because it was unbearable to live in my house. I put myself in extremely dangerous circumstances because living out there was better than living at home. But through all this I just wanted to fit in.

As an adult I tried many different careers. I was a decent network engineer, but not the best. I was a decent barber, but not the best. I've known people in these fields that excelled, but I could only attain mediocraty. This encompassed all areas of my life. I've never had a successful relationship with the women I've been involved with including a marriage thirty years ago. My relationship with my daughter is strained at best and almost non-existent.
All my life I felt like a loser... but as I was listening to Alistair talk I realized that I've been trying to fit in where I was never intended to fit in. I'm the square peg trying to fit into a round hole. God made me to be a peculiar person so that I could see the glory of His Love and Mercy. Jesus said "If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you" ~John 15:18-19 (NASB). If I had all the things that people have, a great wife, a good relationship with my child, the perfect job that I was great at and successes that the world seeks, then I may have never known my desperate need for a Savior.

You see I am MORE fortunate than the wealthiest or most loved and revered people in the world. I have been chosen by a King to be His son. I am the adopted son of the Most High God. I do not have to seek riches and adulation from the world because I have the Love from God that the world cannot understand. 1 John 4:8 says "The one who does not love does not know God, for GOD IS LOVE." So. if God is the very definition of Love then it stands to reason that I have the very best kind of Love.

This gift from God is not just for me, but for all people seeking more. This world will never give you enough. You'll constantly starve and strive for more. Only Jesus Christ can give you all you need. He will wipe away every tear and tell you in your heart "I Love You". If you are a square peg trying to fit into a round hole, then ask Jesus Christ to be the Master of your life. Believe on Him that He was crucified, died and and rose from the dead, defeating death and the grave and is seated at the Right Hand of God. Believe also that there is nothing He can't do for you according to His will and mercy. There is no pit you are to far down that He can't reach down and pick you up. Then REPENT of your sins, see them as He sees them... vile and dirty. It is only then that He can clean you up. When you realize you need to be cleaned up. A child that has never seen or been to Disney World does not know what he/she is missing. So when the parent says "Come in so I can clean you up and take you to Disney, they refuse. They are content playing in the mud making mud pies. However, once they see what Disney is like they are excited to come in and get cleaned up! We need to see how filthy we really are before we can come to Jesus and ask Him to clean us up.

Life on this Earth with Christ will be difficult, maybe more so than the difficulties you are going through right now, but He will give you a peace that surpasses all understanding. ~Philippians 4:7. He will give you strength and courage to take on whatever this world throws at you and you too will know that you are a son or daughter of the Most High God, the prince or princess of a KING! HALLELUJAH!!! AMEN!!!

No comments:

Google Search